Who still remembers the tune " ta na na na na na na naaaaaaa"?
R.K Narayan's stories made for T.V. audience. Literature reaching homes and children in the simplest form of audio-visual consumption. Almost forgotten after 30 years.
And then I receive the book as a gift.
I realise the tele series stories has faded away leaving the tune in mind. But how come?
I start reading the stories one by one, as and when I get time.
And I understand now, why I forgot the stories .
The stories are not only effervescent in nature but also camphorous. They just evaporate. They are too mundane to be remembered.
Yes. Perhaps you forget the story but its essence permeates deep inside you, giving you thousand years worth of wisdom.
Like his stories I had forgotten my passion to write and sometime I thought - Ah, that is thing in the past. But these old stories compelled me to write about them, shaking me out of routine, blowing away my mental block, which proves for me ,yet again, how mentally riveting they are.
The two stories I read recently are, NAGA and THE BLIND DOG, coincidentally read on the same day.
Both about animals as protagonists.
Both set free but returned to their chains for security and food.
That forced me to think. Is it only animal nature or human as well?
What is freedom? When does it mean the most? When does it lose its significance?
Maybe, I will get some of the answers through delving
more into the realms of the deep, yet simple writings of R.K.Narayan.
No comments:
Post a Comment